July is over but your new-found plastic free lifestyle doesn’t have to be! Whether you’re just getting into the habit of remembering your coffee travel mug before you leave the house or are well on your way to displaying the very little trash you have this month in an old jar, here’s how you can take being plastic free up a notch:
Make your own dishwasher cubes:
Dishwashers have made washing the dishes easy-breezy and with technology developing in the way it has, dish-washers are very often more water conservative and energy conscious than hand washing. Only problem is that every cube comes wrapped in it’s own plastic wrapper. Ditch the wrapper but keep the dishwasher! Make your own cubes.
- 1 cup bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 cup citric acid
- 1 tablespoon dish-washing liquid
- Silicone ice cube tray
- Airtight jar or container
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix well with your hands or a whisk.
- Push the mixture into your silicone ice cube molds, scrape off excess and let sit overnight or 4 hours minimum, until hardened like store bought cubes.
- Press cubes out and store in an airtight container. Avoid getting the cubes wet.
- Use one cube per wash.
Multipurpose cleaning solution:
White vinegar is the holy grail of cleaning solutions we forgot we needed. Acetic acid (aka white vinegar) is a great disinfectant and can tackle grime and scum as well as bacteria like salmonella, E. coli and others! Here’s how to make a multipurpose cleaning solution for any solid surface including glass, tiles and metal.
Using a solution like this means you have one product for a variety of different uses and can cut down on the many different plastic bottles under your sink.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 drops dish-washing liquid
- Add all ingredients to an old spray bottle. Shake.
- Spray on surfaces, rub over buildup with a wet cloth. Rinse cloth in clean water and wipe off solution.
- If cleaning glass, polish or buff the glass with newspaper.
Be conscious in all your supplier decisions – choose suppliers that are doing more to do better. While we have a long way to go, we’ed like you to join us on this journey. Book your next conference, meeting, training or event with us and opt for no plastic water bottle.
Or fill in the contact form below.